Deadline: February 1, 2024 (11:59PM Eastern Time)
The Amgen Scholars Program at Howard is a 10-week residential summer research program for undergraduates interested doing research in biotechnology and related biomedical sciences.
- Internship Dates: June 8, 2024 through August 17, 2024
- Howard Amgen Scholars conduct hands-on, research under the mentorship of faculty and supervisors (post-docs and doctoral students). Laboratory hosts are affiliated with a variety of divisions of the university - the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) departments: Physics, Chemistry, Engineering and Howard’s Medical School, Molecular and Cellular Biology; as well as Howard’s Interdisciplinary Research Institute.
- Howard Amgen Scholars participate in scholarly and pre-professional development sessions and cohort social activities and will attend the North American Amgen Scholars Symposium. Examples of Howard’s pre-professional development and scholarly training include workshops on topics such as how to think like a scientist/researcher, research integrity, PhD and MD/PhD student experiences, and the graduate school application process. Additionally, the interns will have the opportunity to speak to graduate students, and various scientists.
- Scholar expectations include:
- Full participation in the 10-week of the internship program. Scholars would not have time to take summer courses, have a job other than the Howard Amgen Internship.
- Reside in housing provided on Howard’s campus
- Participate as a full collaborator in the assigned laboratory
- Attend all of the activities as part of the summer experience
- Must attend and participate in the Amgen Scholars Symposium
- Present his/her/their summer project at the symposium oral presentation
- Complete surveys, readings (articles) as assigned
- Scholars will receive:
- A $5,000 stipend
- Housing and meals paid by the Howard Amgen Program
- Travel allowance for travel to and from DC
- Paid travel to and from the Amgen Scholars Symposium.
- The Amgen Scholars Program at Howard selects undergraduates with high academic success, research interests in the indicated fields, and a commitment to pursuing a career in science especially research.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. permanent resident
- Undergraduate students enrolled in accredited four-year colleges or universities in the United States, Puerto Rico or other U.S. territories
- Sophomores (with four quarters or three semesters of college experience), juniors or non-graduating seniors (who are returning in the fall to continue undergraduate studies)
- Have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or above (on a 4.0 scale)
- Have an interest in pursuing a STEM Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D.
- Previous research experience is not required for participation
How to Apply
- Review the program and application information thoroughly
- Go to link to complete an Howard-Amgen Scholars application in Submittable
- Faculty profiles will be listed on the webpage soon.
For questions, please contact: Ronald.firstname.lastname@example.org